Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day Tea


How do you celebrate Mother’s Day? The Momadonnas wanted something big and yet relaxing (don’t we always?). So I (Punk) decided on a Mother’s Day Tea. I’ve always wanted a tea party and even convinced The Professional to have one at her house a few years back. However, this year was different, this year I was doing it my way – all the way. Watch out girls this could get interesting!

I feel Mother’s Day is not just for celebrating your own motherhood or even your mother’s lucky accomplishment of having you (although there really should be a holiday for that too….). It’s about celebrating ALL moms especially those who have gone before. I’ve always appreciated my Grandmother she was the most sophisticated and stylish woman that I knew. She was posh before Mrs. Beckham was a twinkle in her mother’s eye. I remember that I would stare in awe at her silver and play with her napkin rings whenever I could get away with it. This year, after she passed away, we cleaned out the family home and I was lucky enough to leave with two items: a real silver tray and one of her fancy sets of linens. So I ask, how better to celebrate Mother’s Day than with style - Grandmother style!

So of course I got my fancy tea party

The moms sat informally around the living room sipping tea* and eating hors-d’oeuvres including biscuits imported from England, Canapé (mini sandwiches shaped like hearts and stars and yes, before you ask, all the crusts were cut off), mini cupcakes, and carrots (ugh not carrots again – they follow me everywhere!). The Minions were exiled to the dining room to sit and enjoy their tea together at a table.** Proudly displayed were my Grandmother’s silver and linen. They were being used just as she would have wanted them to be. I was surrounded by some of the best mothers I know, those that inspire, support, motivate, and complete me. When the afternoon tea party came to a close we all felt like a winner, especially me.

Of course it could have been the trophies…



*Pinkies extended as is proper for a lady.

**Note: Minions should always be at a table! It is safer that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment