Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's not you, it's me


“It’s not you it’s me” – Wow did I really just say that? What in the world possessed me? Before you ask the answer is NO, this was not my breaking up with some man (although I can think of a few Accessories I would have liked to use this line on in the past). As a matter of fact this was not said to ANY man or woman at all, but instead to a 12 year old Minion. First, I want to point out that I do like to encourage this particular minion to “be herself” and not to “fall for peer pressure”, but I find sometimes peer pressure isn’t so bad and maybe we should pay a little more attention to those around us and their opinions. So although I said no to her purchasing a real 2-pound steel army helmet and wearing it to and from the junior high, it was definitely not her. It was all me at my mommy best!

It also made me think. How often do I say something that could have been phrased just a little differently so I didn't look quite so crazy? Well I'm not alone (I know I asked) and it turns out it is a mom thing! Sometimes we just find ourselves saying something that we would never have expected to hear coming out of our own mouths. It’s also usually something that could be taken wrong and almost always embarrasses us for at least a day. *

In fact, as a mom, I think it’s a pre-requisite. We have all said something unexpected and we will continue to do so. One mom said she asked her son (in front of others) “Why does your coach like little boys?” Of course a comment like this, overheard and out of context, would cause anyone to raise an eyebrow.  Now in her defense there was a logical reason for this question. You see she had noticed that the basketball coach kept putting the younger boys in the game and was not letting the older ones play, but anyone overhearing this would definitely not understand! Other comments that didn’t sound very good when overheard were:

“Good come! Good come!” –when the 1 ½ year old came when called.
“You need turkey droppings?” –a Thanksgiving misunderstanding.
“Look at her blow her nose!” –no comment! You just need to know that it’s the small things that make moms happy.
“Wow you are a dirty boy!” –this comment is perfectly innocent when used on any boy under the age of 10… no lets make that 8.
“Want to go sit on the Dude’s lap?” – for some reason this moms kids took to calling Santa The Dude.
“Don’t touch his balls!” – Yes indeed every mom has had to yell this at one time or another because kids just love balls. **
“You leave your teeth in the car young lady” -yelled across a parking lot and no I can’t really explain this one away but trust me it was for the best.


* Note: After one day most embarrassing moments become great stories to be used at parties and other social gatherings.
** Oh no! Do I have to add “kids just love balls” to the list of things I never thought I would say?

No comments:

Post a Comment